How to build source

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Mar 6, 2008 at 4:59 PM
Hi.

I tried to build the latest source which includes VS 2008 support and other fixes. The build fails with "Unable to build registry value" errors on the 8.0 key values in the Setup.vdproj file. What is the process to get the build to succeed?

Thanks,
Carl

Mar 9, 2008 at 12:20 AM
I don't know if this is the correct solution, but I solved it by deleting the registry hive for 8.0.

But I have another question. I am using an HttpHandler with PageMethods. The Method tag keeps disappearing from my PageList.xml and I have to paste it back in to avoid a "method not found" error.

Anyone have any idea why this keeps happening?
Mar 13, 2008 at 8:56 PM
Well, I guess I can't use PageMethods, since I can't figure out how to stop the generator from deleting my method tags in an HttpHandler file.

Too bad, becuase I love the concept.

Thanks,
Carl
Mar 13, 2008 at 11:36 PM
Okay, I solved my own problem :).

I don't know if it is because I am using Web Application Projects, but once I broke my HttpHandler into two files (xxx.ashx and xxx.ashx.cs) the PageMethods generator no longer dumped the Methods section of the PageList.xml.

YAHOO!!!

The only complaints I have so far are:
1) you cannot use constants in the attributes. For example, the UrlFormat and ParamName values cannot contain const values, "ParamName(SomeConst)". However, this is a very minor annoyance and is just a matter of stylistic coding. And, to be honest, I don't think Microsoft attributes allow constants either.

2) The PageList.xml and PageList.xml.cs files cannot be excluded and get regenerated on every build. I understand how this would be a difficult issue to solve, but I do hope you can come up with some solution. The problem is that I am forced to check out these files every build and that means no one else on the team can build that project, unless we do something funky like allow multiple checkouts or just have everyone change the file attribute to writable. Certainly these are workarounds, but it would be nice if they weren't needed.

In any case, I do love this tool and will be using it consistently from now on.

Thanks,
Carl